Don't Believe That There Is No Work!

Tempsters (tm) NYC Temp Agencies New York City: In the News Temping Wise: Don't Believe That There Is No Work!
By Admin (Admin) on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 9:44 pm: Edit Post

There is no temp work, the temp market is dead?

Bullshit!

There is always temp work, the real money in temping doesn't have shit to do with the economy or a need for workers (in my opinion, anyway).

First off, there are some very different games going on in the temp market in NYC. The large multinational temp agencies are selling "cheap" and trying to be legitimate businesses. These "national agencies" have very few of the really lucrative high paying WP Center work. The Nationals mostly have bullshit admin crap that is the first shit to disappear when the economy does turn down (and no temp used to making real money temping in NYC would fucking waste time doing fucking admin shit during the day at eighteen fucking dollars an hour).

The "Specialty Shops" (for lack of a better word) have "RELATIONSHIPS" (for lack of a better word) with their clients. And, for one reason or another, these CLIENTS request temps on a regular basis whether they need temps or not.

The "SPecialty Shops" have all of the lucrative WP Centers, work that DOES NOT go away no matter how bad the economy gets (and work which pays a lot of fucking money).

I know for a fact that it is hard to get a legal WP Operator right now, because (a) I have called agencies requesting WP Operators and have been told none were available; and (b) agencies are calling ME (out of the blue) and asking me if I am available for work.

THERE IS ALWAYS TEMP WORK. The fucking economy doesn't have shit to do with why most of these CLIENTS ask for temps. And "A Need For Someone to Actually Do Work", damn sure doesn't have shit to do with why most of these CLIENTS request temps (in my experience any way).

There is a lot of temp work available in WP Centers at law firms right now ($25.00/hr second shift, $30.00/hr third shift). The trick is finding the right agency that will give it to you.

The usual suspects are the "EVERGREENS" listed on our "Desperately Seeking Temps" report.

By Admin (Admin) on Wednesday, July 3, 2002 - 11:03 am: Edit Post

I was relieving this temp a couple of weeks ago. I went in at 5:00pm and this guy had been working on the assignment from 9:00 to 5:00 pm.

While I was replacing this guy, he got about three calls from three different temp agencies on his cell phone with work for later that day, the weekend and the next week. I got no calls, athough I was registered with some of the same agencies.

Now, in the current state of the temp market, it may seem great that this guy was getting so many calls from agencies. But, this guy was definitely doing a shit load of work to get these little day long assignments, all from different temp agencies.

The reality is that some of us have to do a hell of a lot of work to get enough assignments from enough agencies to get in maybe 40 hours in a week, while there are assholes "actor temps" who just get long-term lucrative assignements handed to them (when most of these assholes have never even temped before).

As they say, life is unfair.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:
Post as "Anonymous"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration