News

Tempsters (tm) NYC Temp Agencies New York City: In the News Temping Wise: News
By Admin (Admin) on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 2:51 am: Edit Post

Benefits are for Having, Not Using

Lately, I am seeing a pattern of PERM people getting fired when they needed serious medical treatment and could have used the "BENEFITS" that PERM people are so quick to throw in the face of temps.

Well, the bottom line is that BENEFITS cost money and if your BENEFITS are costing your company more money than you are producing, you just may find yourself unemployed and with NO benefits..

A man with one of the ugliest personalities I have seen in a very long time, for some reason, decided that his being "a nobody manager of a copy center for an outsourcer" made him superior to me. Turns out Fucked-up one has cancer and was FIRED just as his medical bills were escalating, allegedly he was fired for "sexual harassment". A man with colon cancer decides that he is going to sexually harass someone after just getting married?

According to rumor, another seriously nasty bitch was just fired after learning that she would be needing major surgery done.

I guess the moral is, Benefits may be good to have, but you might not want to actually try to use them in this economy

By Admin (Admin) on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 4:14 pm: Edit Post

Apparently, She Really Is Dead

While I hesitate to post messages about someone being dead when I haven't actually seen the body ...

Appparently, "Someone A Whole Lot of Temps HATED" really is dead.

According to a temp counselor we know, "This Person" died of cancer.

By Admin (Admin) on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 6:00 am: Edit Post

Temp for Congress

I have met a lot of STARS temping and I can't name one of these STARS that has gone on to become anything of note. I don't really know what happened to these people who were making so much money temping, almost all of them just seemed to disappear off the face of the earth.

However, today I learned that a Temp is running for Congress. It turns out this woman was a lawyer all the time and went to Harvard; she was temping as a word processor for all of the at least 5 years that I knew her.

By Admin (Admin) on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 1:19 pm: Edit Post

New York Post October 23, 2002

Last week a $7.5 million grant was awarded to LaGuardia Community College's East River Studios, "the first of nearly a dozen business incubators planned for CUNY campuses".

"The LaBuardia incubator will tap the growing arts and design cluster in Queens and draw on the college's stengths in new media, graphic design and computer science."

By Admin (Admin) on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 12:19 am: Edit Post

fergiebear
Posted: Oct. 27 2002,08:20 on Honation Board

Yes I am with five agencies and they all say there is no work!

And I believed them. What the heck is going on! I have 2 degress and I am friendly I show up on time. Worked all last year but after 911 I got nothing!!!!!!!!!!

Admin Response

You have to adjust your resume and your "pitch" to what the agencies are looking for. Most clerical/word processing positions do not require a degree and highlighting two degrees on your resume may actually work to your disadvantage.

in order to get WP work at one time, it actually worked for me to take my technical degree and experience off of one version of my resume and simply highlight the WP work that I had done. This was suggested to me by a recruiter and I did it thinking that it would not matter, but it did matter. This recruiter said once about my having a business and my business managing a WP Center, she said: "Don't you think this might intimidate some people".

Create a dumbed-down resume that highlights your Clerical experience to use when applying to agencies for clerical work.

Winston has an ad today in the Times for WP Operators; Tiger Info just landed a big contract with Morgan Stanley and Pitney Bowes seems to always be looking for people; Jovan is also advertising for temps. These companies would probably be looking for people with some WP Operator experience who can type maybe 50 WPM or better.

As far as "industries" are concerned, I would say that legal and accounting look like hot fields right now.

FIVE agencies is not a lot of agencies. Some of these agencies could have the same clients, so if one has no work none of them would. You need to be registered with more than 5 agencies and you need to find agencies that focus on different industries and different types of clients. For example, I would say that Jovan Temps has different clients from the clients that Custom Staffing has; whereas Tiger and Custom may have a lot of the same clients.

Good Luck to ya!

By Admin (Admin) on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 12:19 am: Edit Post

Back Stage's Spotlight on Temporary Employment

Back Stage's special issue on temporary employment was the issue published for the week of October 11-17, 2002. You can go to the Back Stage office at 770 Broadway and buy a copy of this back issue.

There are only about eight or so temp agencies in the issue, but there are interveiws with, and photo of, about ten actors on their experiences temping.

It really is amazing how the market for temp agency advertising has changed. At one time the entire front page of the Sunday NY Times was full of temp agency ads. And Back Stage's special issue on temping had pages and pages of temp agencies in it.

Where has all of that money gone?

By Admin (Admin) on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 12:20 am: Edit Post

National Staffing Employee of the Year

October 2002 (Newstream) -- Adecco (NYSE:ADO), the nation's largest staffing services company, today announced that Hector Rodriguez, an Adecco temporary employee, has been named the 2002 National Staffing Employee of the Year by the American Staffing Association (ASA). Rodriguez was presented with the award at the ASA's annual convention, Staffing World 2002, for epitomizing the hard work, dedication, and success of millions of temporary employees throughout the country.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:
Post as "Anonymous"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration